It’s time to plan a vacation. Going away should be relaxing and fun. It’s not a time to worry about your pets. It’s hard to leave them behind, sure, but having a reliable, trustworthy pet sitter makes all the difference. You don’t have to worry and your pets are comfy and safe at home.
If you search pet sitters your town, many listings will show. It may seem overwhelming and confusing. How do you find a reliable pet sitter in your area ? How do you know who to trust and will show up?
5 Tips to Find a Reliable Pet Sitter
1. Ask friends and neighbors
This is your best source for finding a reliable pet sitter. Friends and neighbors who have used a pet sitter will only provide a name of someone they have used, trust, and highly recommend.
Another great way to find a reliable pet sitter is to ask your veterinarian. Many vets network with other pet professionals. They often times will recommend a professional pet sitter and some vets also have staff that provide pet sitting.
3. Search online for a professional pet sitter
A professional pet sitter will have an established business. Since they have worked hard to build their business and reputation, they want to maintain that image by being reliable and trustworthy. Look for these qualifications when hiring a professional pet sitter:
- Are they insured? All professional pet sitters are covered by liability insurance.
- How long have they been in business? Pet sitters who have been in business for years are likely to be around for the long haul.
- What do the reviews say about them? Great sources for pet sitter reviews are Angie’s list, business Facebook page, and Google +.
- Does the pet sitter have an emergency backup plan? This is important as you do not want to be on vacation and get a frantic call your pet sitter is in the hospital and can no longer care for your pets.
- A professional pet sitter will have a service agreement and policies for you to review. This clearly defines what you can expect of the pet sitter while your pets are under their care.
4. Meet the pet sitter
This will tell you a lot about the person caring for your pets. How does the pet sitter interact with the pets? Are your pets comfortable with this person? Is the pet sitter clear about the services they will provide and when? Do they take notes about the pet’s care? Always go with your gut. If you are still not sure, schedule a trial run for one or two visits before you take a week long vacation.
5. Avoid fly by night pet sitters
When choosing a pet sitter, you want someone to build a relationship with. If you are searching sites such as Rover, Sittercity, and Care look for someone who is an established professional. These sites promote pet sitting as an easy way to make money. Many sign up but don’t stick around long term.
Hiring a pet sitter doesn’t have to be scary. Take your time and use the tips above to find the right pet sitter for your needs. Your vacation will be much more relaxed and so will your pets.
Are you looking for a reliable, trustworthy pet sitter? We can help!